Of course, Ashford has a tradition of excellence and achievement, but this is only part of the picture. Of profound importance to us are the relationships and experiences that nurture the development of your child. What are the characteristics we wish to see in all of our pupils as modelled by adults in the school?
We aspire to:
- develop in every child self-reliance, determination, responsibility, compassion and boldness, and also foster a sense of respect, teamwork, the intellectual freedom to be creative, the confidence and enterprise to initiate and the resilience to cope with adversity.
- ensure every child is ambitious, confident, articulate, with excellent social skills and a secure, moral framework and, at the end of their school career, gains a place at the school, university or college of their choice.
How do we achieve this?
- By ensuring that learning is motivating, rewarding, stimulating and leads to success. This is the most important thing that happens in the school.
- We encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own learning, recognising that each pupil learns differently and that making mistakes and taking risks are both part of learning. We set out to create opportunities to realise, recognise and reward the best in everyone. This is achieved through learning that is carefully tailored to the individual and is adventurous.
- Adventurous Learning means providing the appropriate mix of challenge and support for each child so that they continually extend themselves and develop the key personal characteristics referred to above.
- We are a diverse community where individuality is valued and this is apparent in how we behave. We encourage intellectual curiosity and aim to help each boy and girl to develop independence of mind and spirit. Vitally important to this development is the breadth and depth of our co-curricular opportunities. Our pupils discover their own creativity, abilities and strengths through a range of sporting, artistic, cultural and social activities which run in parallel with and are as important as their academic development. Underpinning every facet of our life is a carefully designed and effective system of pastoral care and guidance.
- We embrace diversity and aim to foster understanding between people of different backgrounds. We welcome children of all faiths and of none: our values and traditions are broadly Christian.
- By using and contributing to the considerable, collective strength, experience and resources of United Learning.
These complementary elements give Ashford School its particular character with Adventurous Learning being a well understood concept. Our pupils are part of a friendly, stimulating community that prepares them well for whatever life they choose to follow.
Our focus is to imbue an unending craving for learning by each child having the opportunity to explore, to know, to do, to share and to be.
Head, Ashford School
Headmaster, Ashford Prep School
Mr Tom Wilding
Head of the Senior School