Sport commands an important place within our school life for all children. Ashford Prep School offers a wide range of games to suit most tastes, and these are available from an early age as part of our formal curriculum. Physical Education and Games begin in Nursery with ball skills and swimming. From there on, the Prep School children start competing against local Prep and Primary Schools.
Our ethos is Sport for All which means every child – no matter their ability – is provided the opportunity to represent the School competitively. Competitive fixtures offer pupils the opportunity to represent their School in matches against other local schools, and help to promote excellence for county, regional or even national honours later in their lives. Furthermore, to promote a healthy rivalry between our pupils we also host spirited internal House competitions.
In addition to our expert coaches on the staff, we have visits from outside coaches and international sports players to inspire and encourage all our sports teams. Our approach to sport is to be inclusive – for some children sport may not be their most obvious talent. However, the experiences of working as a team, and winning and losing graciously, are relevant for all levels of ability and enthusiasm and can give all children the skills to enable them to participate in and enjoy sport.
Our sporting facilities include:
Our large games department has a low teacher/pupil ratio which is complemented by the extensive facilities here at Ashford Prep School. We are incredibly proud of our exceptional sports facilities and host many County, Regional and IAPS tournaments and events for the benefit of our pupils. Our children have access to the following facilities:
- 26 acres of playing fields
- 1 heated swimming pool
- 1 flood-lit AstroTurf
- Indoor gym
- State-of-the-art Sports Pavilion
- Indoor sports hall on our Senior School site
Keep up with our recent successes and fixtures here.
Recent Sporting Successes:
We are immensely proud of our children’s recent individual and team achievements. We have an increasing number of children competing in County, Regional and National level events with some of the team highlights listed below:
- U11A boys’ and girls’ hockey teams qualified to compete amongst the top hockey teams in the country at the IAPS National Hockey Finals
- U11A boys qualified for the National IAPS Finals in football
- U11A Netball team qualified for the IAPS National Netball Finals
- Winners of the girls’ IAPS U11 Cricket Tournament
- County champions and runners-up in the South East of England hockey tournament
- For the last number of years, our Year 5 and Year 6 have qualified yearly for National Finals in Swimming, Cross Country, Athletics, Biathlons and Triathlons
- For the past three years, numerous School footballers have been selected to represent the South East Pumas at the Gothia Cup, the largest youth football tournament in the world
- A number of sportsmen and women represent at local, county and national level.