Spanning three floors of Somerville at the Senior School site, the Somerville Library provides a wealth of material to pupils and staff. As well as our extensive collection of fiction and non-fiction books, we offer a wide range of DVDs and subject-related periodicals. The Librarians are available each day from 08:00 until 18:00 and are always happy to help with research, recommend books and enthuse about reading.
Behaviour in the Somerville Library
- Please remember that the Somerville Library is a place for silent study.
- No eating or drinking is allowed.
- Mobile phones may not be used.
- The chairs and tables must not be moved.
- Respect other library users.
- Be quiet when passing through the Somerville Library to reach other areas of the School.
- Items must be issued by a Librarian.
- Library materials must not be removed from the Somerville Library without being issued.
- Books may be borrowed for a period of four weeks.
- DVDs may be borrowed for a period of 3 days.
- Items may be renewed unless required by another borrower.
- Years 7, 8 and 9 may borrow up to 4 items at any one time.
- Years 10 and 11 may borrow up to 6 items.
- Years 12 and 13 may borrow up to 10 items.
- Pupils will be charged the full replacement cost of any lost or damaged items.
All returned library materials should be placed in the locked Returns Box in the side room on the ground floor.
If you want an item that is not available, please ask the Librarians. If an item is on loan we will reserve it for you. We are always happy to receive requests or suggestions for new stock.