Sixth Form Politics students hold Q&A with MP Damian Green
On the afternoon of Friday 8 January, Year 12 & Year 13 Politics students were treated to a fascinating Q&A session with local Conservative MP Damian Green.
Discussions covered a wide range of issues from happenings in the USA and US/UK relations, and the government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic to local matters, such as homelessness and the impact of Brexit on the movement of import/export good through Kent.
Questions from our Sixth Formers included:
- What are your thoughts on the governments response to Covid-19, and the Tier system that was applied?
- Why did the government decide to instate a national lockdown at such short notice?
- Do you think that Brexit will have an impact on Scottish Independence, and see Scotland vote to leave the UK in the future?
- US politics has been front and centre of the news this week with the storming of the capital. How has Trump’s presidency and administration effect tied with the UK, and how do you think relations with the US will be with the Biden administration?
- Do you think it is fair to ask A Level students to sit exams in 2022, given that they did not have the opportunity to take their GCSE exams, and the possible detrimental effect of online learning?
- How is the roll out of the Covid-19 vaccine going, both nationally and locally?
- What are your thoughts on the customs centre being built in Ashford and its potential impact on the environment?
- Do you think Boris Johnson’s handling of coronavirus and Brexit will impact how the conservative party will fair in the next general election?
- It is clear that there is a serious problem with homelessness in Ashford, are you doing anything to help?
- What is your opinion on the line between sharing information on the governement,and selling out official secrets? In particular, I am thinking about Julian Assange, and whether Wikileaks is good or bad?
- What is the most difficult and most rewarding part of being a politican?
- In our lessons we have been looking at the British Political system, and comparing it to the US’s. What would happen if we had a Trump style leader as our PM? Could this kind of person become PM in the first place?
It was a truly global gathering, with our students tuning in on Microsoft teams from Turkey, St Petersburg, Hong Kong and the UK!
An inspiring and informative session. Thank you to Damian Green for spending the hour with us.