In line with our ethos of ‘Competitive Sport for All’ and through our high-quality PE and Games curriculum on offer, we inspire all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities.
Our sports programme is accessible to all and tailored to meet the aims of our pupils. We are proud to field competitive teams in all major team games, as well as swimming, biathlon, athletics, badminton and tennis, although this is no more important than providing opportunities that will promote lifelong participation in sport. The role that competitive sport plays in developing character, confidence, resilience, teamwork and leadership is widely celebrated. As are the sporting achievements of our increasing number of pupils who compete at County, Regional and National level.
Over and above our Competitive Sports for All ethos, Ashford School is committed to providing first-class pathways to our high-potential athletes, many of whom compete at Club, County, Regional and National standards.
Our games programme gives pupils the opportunity to play in competitive sport and all pupils follow the major sport of the term, so that we have time to teach and coach them to a high level of proficiency.
Boys’ Sports in Years 7-10:
Autumn – Rugby
Spring – Hockey
Summer – Cricket
Girls’ Sports in Years 7-10:
Autumn – Hockey
Spring – Netball
Summer – Cricket
Senior Games and Health and Wellbeing:
Those pupils who are selected for the representative team sports (Rugby, Hockey, Netball, Cricket) are expected to continue with the sport of the term and represent the School.
If a student is not part of a representative team, they are encouraged to participate in a sport or activity that they can develop and improve on, in order to promote lifelong participation. Activities offered depend on the term, coaching staff and facilities available and can include: Swimming, Tennis, Badminton, Squash, Dance, Fitness, Table Tennis, Multi-sports, Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Athletics and Rounders.
Physical Education at Ashford School develops pupils’ competence and confidence to take part in a range of physical activities that become a central part of their lives, both in and out of School. During these lessons students are taught the following:
- Health Related Fitness
- Fit to Lead
- Table Tennis
- Water Polo
- Synchronised Swimming
Ashford School has benefitted from significant investment in sports facilities which include two indoor swimming pools, fitness suite, dance studio, two sports halls and two full size flood lit Astroturf pitches. Grass pitches totaling 25 acres have been developed in the last year and include 3 grass cricket squares, 1 Astroturf wicket, 5 rugby pitches and two 400m athletics tracks. To provide fantastic views of the pitches and also accommodate 4 changing rooms, a modern and eye-catching pavilion is located at our Prep School fields.
As well as its own grounds, Ashford School makes use of several excellent sport facilities in and around the Ashford area. These include:
- Julie Rose Athletics Stadium
- Ashford Hockey Club
- Stour Centre
- Great Chart Cricket Club
- Mersham Cricket Club
- Ashford Rugby Club
- Three Hills Sports Park
- Wye Tennis Club
This is an extremely exciting time for the school following recent investment in sports facilities and we are looking forward to a fantastic future of sport at Ashford School.
Fixtures and Results
Keep up with our recent successes and fixtures here.
Sporting Excellence Pathway
Ashford School has a history of outstanding athletic performance at District, County and Regional levels, with a rising number of students competing at a National level. We aspire to provide young athletes with the best opportunities to develop the skills and qualities needed to succeed in elite and professional sport by educating students about these characteristics. At Ashford School, there are many gifted athletes, and it is our mission to recognise and nurture these talents.
The scholarship programme ensures students receive individualised training programmes in accordance with their stage of development, age and maturation. Our young athletes can discover significant sports psychology, sports nutrition and pathways to professional sports in addition to understanding how to care for their own physical growth and development. Our sport scholars have access to:
- Highly qualified coaches
- Excellent sports facilities
- Competitive sporting opportunities at all levels
- Regular structured training
- One-to-one and small group coaching
- Inspirational talks by professional athletes and sport scientists
- Year round development in their sport
- Pathways to District, County, Regional and National level sport
- Sports mentor
- Strength and conditioning programmes
- Regular fitness testing
- Physiotherapy advice and support from Northside Clinic
- Access to expert support in nutrition and psychology
Ashford School offers sport scholarships for those entering Year 7, Year 9 and Year 12. If you feel your child is particularly gifted at sport, we would be pleased to consider their application. Further information regarding sports scholarships and the application deadlines can be found here.
Talented Athletes Scholarship Scheme (TASS)
What is the TASS programme?
- The Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) is a Sport England funded partnership between talented athletes, education institutions and national governing bodies of sport. We work together to bring the best out of our country’s most exciting young talent.
- TASS helps athletes in education (aged 16+) to get the very best from their sporting and academic careers without having to choose between the two.
- Since in began in 2003, 163 TASS athletes and alumni have gone on to win Olympic and Paralympic medals.
- Being able to offer academic flexibility and support to student athletes is currently a rarity and TASS are therefore confident that the TASS Dual Career Accreditation Scheme will act as a great recruitment tool for institutions and make them stand out from the crowd.
As a ‘talented’ athlete demonstrating excellence within your selected sport and competing at county, regional, national or international level; you will receive many benefits which aim to support you with your academic attainment, flexibility with studies and enable you to maintain consistent progress throughout your learning.
What are the benefits?
- You will be assigned a TASS mentor. This means that you have an assigned mentor once a term with this member of staff. you will be able to meet with this member of staff as frequently as needed, as an ‘open door’ policy.
- The assigned mentor will sign any documentation needed and will give guidance to you (the athlete) regarding mental, social and physical well-being.
- You will receive a training booklet to encourage you to organise and manage academic and sporting commitments with ease.
- You will have more flexibility in your training schedule to all you to achieve more success in your studies.
- Athletes will receive group workshops and additional support on anti-doping, sports nutrition, lifestyle choices, sport psychology, strength and conditional performance based sport science testing.
- Buddy system; you will have a buddy either from the same sport or academic study area. You will be able to share experiences, opinions, achievements and concerns with this person as you wish. This meeting will take place in a formal setting once a term and you will be able to communicate informally during the school term.
Physical Education – Academic Course:
Are you interested in studying one of our Academic PE courses, at either GCSE level or in the sixth form? Follow this link for more information